Silly Question

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Silly Question

Postby fordius » 29 Apr 2010, 08:08

Hi Folks,
although I have been cooking meat over an open fire for more years than I can remember I have only recently succombed to a big gas job, a Broil King to be precise, for the convenience.

I have kept my charcoal one though which I much prefer

In an attempt to get better results from the gas model I have purchased a smoker box, made by the same people, but the instructions with the grill and the box seem confusing?

The gas bars/burners on the broil king run from back to front, ie parallel to the sides

As an example, I have cooked pulled pork on the gas before, I placed a drip tray over the centre gas burner then just lit the left and right hand burners to cook the pork by indirect heat.

If I wanted to do the same dish but using the smoker box do I put the box on top of the unlit centre gas burner, do I put it on top of one of the lit gas burners or do I put it on top of the actual grill bars.

According to my old headmaster if you dont know the answer it is not a silly question? but?

While on the subject of smoke any ideas where I can buy a selection of different wood chips?

Excuse my stupidity
fordius
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Silly Question

Postby SunofTzu » 29 Apr 2010, 09:29

Hi Fordius,

I can't claim much experience with gas BBQs but having googled the smoker box for a Broil King it looks to be fairly standard metal box with a "holed" lid. I would say you'll need this on direct heat to get the wood chips or wood pellets smoking so it probably needs to go on a lit burner ...the advice I found for smoking on gas bbqs is to "place the box as close as possible to the flame. To get the smoke going you will have to turn your grill on high. Wait for the smoke to start and then back down your heat"

As far as wood chips or pellets goes, you can google these and there are a lot of places selling them so I'd suggest googling but some garden centres may stock them. I haven't got enough experience with this yet to say which are best (pellets or chips), there are better people on this forum who can probably advise. What I would say is to check the Smoking Woods Reference table in this part of the forum to get some ideas as to what wood goes with what type of meat
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Silly Question

Postby All Weather Griller » 29 Apr 2010, 19:01

I'd go with Son of Tzu on the use of the smoker box.

If you are looking for wood chips you could try our 2010 season sponsor http://www.ashwood-smokichipz.co.uk or find em on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114657401888723 and ask for Sandy.

Alternatively Steve Hayes has a wood sponsor also.

Regards

Adie
All Weather Griller

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice