Thermometer calibration

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Thermometer calibration

Postby SunofTzu » 26 Apr 2010, 14:05

I have a ProQ Frontier and wonder if it is possible to calibrate the dome thermometer? I use an ET-73 while cooking but that tends to be lower down in the vertical bullet. Whilst I understand that the temperature can vary within the bbq due to various factors, I would expect the dome to register a higher temperature than the ET73 compartment probe (as hot air rises) and typically it's 30-50F lower

So (a) can I calibrate this? (b) How? (c) Is it just not a good dome thermometer that comes with the ProQ & I ought to get another (it so any suggestions) or (d) my simplistic application of science to the complex convention currents within a cooker is just way off ? :D

Thanks
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Thermometer calibration

Postby All Weather Griller » 01 May 2010, 20:30

Hi,

Yes the thermometer is configurable and from what I believe it is one of only a few models that is.

Take it out of the lid & put the probe in boiling water, it should read 100c but I would check with a digital, if not hold the face of the unit, put a spanner on the bolt at the back & gently twist it until the readout is at the correct temp.

Test again & repeat fine tuning until the readout is correct.
All Weather Griller

Re: Thermometer calibration

Postby SunofTzu » 03 May 2010, 18:06

Adie

Thanks for the reply..will give it a go :)
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice