Pro Q thermometer help

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Pro Q thermometer help

Postby esselle » 22 Mar 2010, 11:47

Help needed please.
My thermometer on my pro q has always been slightly out of line and whilst smoking a brisket on Saturday I decided to turn it so that it was properley aligned and in doing so I can't get an accurate temperature reading now. So I have now taken the thermometer off and found the nut at the back to adjust. Is this nut supposed to be able to move quite easily in both directions slightly? I get the thermometer set to the correct reading go to reassemble on the lid and whilst tightening the screw inside the lid the needle on the thermometer moves again and I am back to square one. Help please. :?
Cheers in advance

Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Pro Q thermometer help

Postby Steve » 22 Mar 2010, 12:09

What you should have is a nut that is used to attach your thermometer to the shell of the Pro Q and another half nut that's flush against the back of the thermometer. The half nut should be used for calibration. Get some boiling water, stick the end in the boiling water, let the needle settle then use the back nut to set to 212F. Just be careful doing this, it's easy to break the termometer -trust me I know this too well :roll:

Once calibrated, install on the Pro Q again, just put the full nut on and tighten up until it's quite snug then turn your thermometer so the face is the right way up and finish tightening the nut.

HTH

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 22 Mar 2010, 12:36

Steve wrote:What you should have is a nut that is used to attach your thermometer to the shell of the Pro Q and another half nut that's flush against the back of the thermometer. The half nut should be used for calibration. Get some boiling water, stick the end in the boiling water, let the needle settle then use the back nut to set to 212F. Just be careful doing this, it's easy to break the termometer -trust me I know this too well :roll:

Once calibrated, install on the Pro Q again, just put the full nut on and tighten up until it's quite snug then turn your thermometer so the face is the right way up and finish tightening the nut.

HTH

Steve

I thought that is what I needed to do but, when I try to move the calibration nut Steve there is a little 'play' either way. Just tried 'tightening' the calibration nut( I know that isn't what it is for but it seemed to move too easily and too much) and it seems to have done the trick but as you say I was scared of breaking it altogether.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 22 Mar 2010, 12:42

From memory, my calibration nut was very stiff until I applied a littel too much pressure and destroyed my thermometer that is :lol:

Doesn't sound right that yours has play in both directions. I don't know what to suggest without seeing it myself as I wouldn't want to suggest something that might break it.

BTW I don't ever look at my dome thermometersn now, I use a Maverick ET73 to keep track of my temps.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 22 Mar 2010, 13:02

Steve wrote:From memory, my calibration nut was very stiff until I applied a littel too much pressure and destroyed my thermometer that is :lol:

Doesn't sound right that yours has play in both directions. I don't know what to suggest without seeing it myself as I wouldn't want to suggest something that might break it.

BTW I don't ever look at my dome thermometersn now, I use a Maverick ET73 to keep track of my temps.

I think the Maverick has to be the way to go Steve. Where did you get yours and how much?
BTW a bit off topic but if you still need an empty calor gas bottle I have one.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 22 Mar 2010, 13:18

I bought my Mavericks from a place called Partshelf in the US. They shipped them over for me and were very good.

A lot of the guys I know buy from eBay, the main seller is a guy called BBQ-Book (or something similar) he's actually a member of the Chatham Artillery BBQ team. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with him.

If I remember correctly, mine cost about about £90 for two including shipping. I can't remember if this included the few quid for import duty and VAT & the £10 :shock: that Parcel Force charged as an admin fee for sorting out the customs charges.

Thanks for the offer of the Calor bottle. I actually managed to get one from eBay on Friday for the princely sum of £1 :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice