New Gas BBQ On A Budget?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: New Gas BBQ - Master Chef Deluxe?

Postby Steve » 29 Feb 2012, 11:16

Never heard of the brand or the shop. However 2 minutes of research shows that the shop is an online only group who sell all sorts of stuff, probably a lot of chinese imports.

Also I couldn't find a manufacturer website through google. This automatically fires my suspicion that this is just some generic model produced en mass and branded differently. I could be wide of the mark but that's how I would see it if I were parting with my hard-earned. I did see it on a couple of garden centre websites but at the same price so I would take the rrp with a pinch of salt too.

If it were me I'd have to see one in person before I parted with that kind of money.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby EViS » 29 Feb 2012, 12:38

What you say is all true, especially the varying RRP on various sites (a bit like the RRP on TV sales channels) and the fact that there is no definitive manufacture behind the item.

However, at 58kg net weight and stainless steel all around, am I being naiive that the quality should be great and worth the money at £350 (price on another site)?

I can't find anything else of comparable spec for around the £300 mark?
EViS
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Steve » 29 Feb 2012, 13:33

You pays your money and you take your chances at the end of the day, but in a direct answer to your last question (and not meaning to cause any offence) yes I do think you are being naive with your expectations on quality.

What anyone recommends or advises on here shouldn't be the defining factor in your decision making process. The good thing about this forum is you'll get honest opinions with no agendas.

My opinion is that for what it is on paper, the price is too low. If you can't find anything else of comparable spec for the same money you have to ask yourself why? Could it be that you just can't build a high quality item to that spec for that price?

The stainless all-round option is not necessarily a good thing either, don't let yourself be blinded by that. Stainless is expensive compared to powder coated carbon steel because the raw material is more expensive and its also harder to work. So how do you think they produce something cheap with stainless, you got it, low grade, thin sheet and minimal finishing. The structure of that unit will be carbon steel, the stainless coating will be almost as thin as tin foil, I'd eat my hat if not.

So it will probably pit and you'll end up painting it, but you'll also have dented the crap out of it because it dents every time you touch it, so even painted it still looks shabby. Whereas if you'd gone for powder coated carbon steel it would have been thicker so would have suffered less dents and the powder coating would probably still be in near spot on condition.

But this is just my 2p.... :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 29 Feb 2012, 13:38

Btw I just got an email from bbqworld.co.uk 15% off with code MM15. Might help if they stock something you like.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby EViS » 08 Mar 2012, 09:41

I took a punt and purchased a Master Cook Platinum 600 (MC-3) from this mail order company. I collected it myself and after a bit of bartering, got it for £300. Below is my mini-review which will hopefully be of some help to someone in my position in the future.

Disclaimer: This is my first 'proper' gas barbecue and so I don't really have anything to compare it to, especially the likes of Weber and other big brands. All my previous barbecues were 2 burner steel/aluminium framed grills from the likes of Homebase and Tesco.

Build Quality: In comparison to my stainless steel Range Master indoor oven/hob, the steel on the Master Cook is definitely thinner, however not as thin as the price tag may lead you to believe. It's somewhere in between the thickness of the steel on a Brabantia bin and a Range Master cooker. The side shelves which slide out to reveal two additional burners are surprisingly solid and do not wobble once slid out, hence can easily support the weight of a bowl of food. The only gripe is with the bottom shelf and the doors. The steel here is very thin and will probably dent over time. The grill hood is extremely solid and the grills themselves are bloody heavy.

Score: 7/10

Usability: I love the fact that the sides slide out to reveal the burners as opposed to lifting up like many other barbecues feature. This makes for a very practical shelf which can always be used, whether you are using these burners or not. Inside there is only one shelf (the base), which although thin, does mean there is alot of volume for storage. I will probably put a bit of ply down to prevent it from denting too easily.

Score: 9/10

Temperature Stability: I haven't cooked anything yet, but with the lid closed, the barbecue did reach 200 degrees within a minute or so, at least going by the built in temperature gauge. Unfortunately I can't provide any more comments on this area of the barbecue yet.

Score: n/a

Value For Money: Overall, at £300 for a 6 burner (2 side and 4 main) stainless steel grill, I am very chuffed with the purchase. It seems very well built and only the doors and bottom base are lacking in quality. The 6 burners seem to roar out alot of heat and offer sufficient control. Obviously it hasn't been put through it's paces yet, that will happen throughout the summer, but in terms of value for money, I think you would be very hard pushed to beat it.

Score: 9/10
EViS
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: New Gas BBQ On A Budget?

Postby keith157 » 08 Mar 2012, 10:03

Nice review, when you start to cook don't forget lots of pictures, and good luck and happy eating. It might be interesting to see how well the burners hold at a low temp. You won't always he blasting the food with blast furnace temps, and with the lid you can certainly do low n slow.
keith157

Postby Steve » 08 Mar 2012, 15:54

Glad you're happy with your purchase, any pics to post?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby EViS » 09 Mar 2012, 14:02

Steve wrote:Glad you're happy with your purchase, any pics to post?

Nothing different than what is already available on the shop's website I linked to. Will get some cooking photos up when the grilling season begins and we get the bbq outside :).
EViS
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby whowantstwoknow » 29 May 2013, 12:28

Hi Evis,

Just wondering as a summer has gone by since your initial review, can you provide some more feedback on this unit. Was thinking of taking the plunge, but there aren't too many specific online reviews.

Thanks in advance

W.
whowantstwoknow
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Vick1982 » 30 Jan 2015, 10:06

Lion Premium Grills L75623 32" Natural Gas Grill is latest natural gas grill brand known to me so far. It has premium solid stainless steel cooking grates. I bought this grill few months back and have been using it fairly regularly.. The grill works great and I am particulary fond of searing burner. BBQ can be made awesomely in this gas grill
Vick1982
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice