Has anyone smoked Mackerel?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Has anyone smoked Mackerel?

Postby BBQKID » 08 Feb 2010, 17:54

I just bought a pack of the already smoked mackerel for a potato and smoked mackerel dauphinoise recipe I am making tonight and I thought I might like to give it a go myself.
I did find one recipe by searching around but it had mustard and I was thinking I want to taste the fish and the smoke more than anything else?
I know I could just leave the mustard out but thought I would ask if anyone else had any methods before I give it a shot.
I think I need a beer.

Jeff
BBQKID
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Has anyone smoked Mackerel?

Postby photostore » 23 Aug 2010, 15:22

Yeah, ive smoked mackerel.
I was just a straight forward hot smoking,charcoal for heat, with oak chunks, its one of the oiliest fish you get so be prepared for a major clean-up as they literally run with oils and strong lingering smells ( i did another raging hot burn afterwoods in the main cooking area instaed of the firebox as the smell was tainting everything which followed)

I dont eat them but i did about thirty large ones my son caught a few weeks back and everyone loved them.
photostore
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice