TROUT

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

TROUT

Postby jaymaxruby » 30 Jan 2010, 08:30

Hi all, good morning, thought id have a break from pork this weekend so i got a couple of nice lookin trouts to put on the pro q, anyone got any advice, to season or not to season mesquite or hickory? how long will they take and how will i know when there done???
Regards andy..
jaymaxruby
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: TROUT

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 30 Jan 2010, 10:34

Hi Andy,

Will you be hot or cold smoking? I hold my hands up to not having cooked trout before but I tend to use cedar with salmon, A large salmon on a plank takes about 40 mins. I am sure someone will pipe in with some good advice for trout.

Toby
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 30 Jan 2010, 14:11

I've hot smoked trout before, alder is a great wood to use, just remember not to over smoke. If the choice is mesquite or hickory go for mesquite.

It's worth brining the trouts for an hour first if possible, surprisingly brining works wonders on a trout.

Depending on how big they are, they should only take about an hour at 225F.

Post some pics when you're done, would love to see how yours turn out.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jaymaxruby » 30 Jan 2010, 14:31

cheers guys, the mesquite worked a treat cooked them for an hour and 20 at 220, im no expert on fish but i reckon they were pretty good, heres the nasty bit i hung them from the hooks in the lid, when i pulled the lid off all that was on the hooks was heads so i wont be posting pictures as they were a bit messy but still nice, good job i had a grill under them lol.
jaymaxruby
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice