Wood ID / Advice

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Wood ID / Advice

Postby Ady » 16 Jun 2011, 18:07

I was 'lucky' * enough to get hold of some wood today, I think its cherry but thought i'd run it by you guys first.
It has an unusual pink & orange colour when I removed the bark, here are a few pic's..

My plan was to strip the bark, cut it unto chunks and put it in the shed to dry for a while, my questions are..
1) Is it cherry?
2) Is cherry ok to use for smoking?
3) Is there anything else i should do other than dry it out?

* Funny story.. This tree is on council land and hitting the side of my house so I ran Swindon council. I received a letter saying "due to a lack of resources we are not undertaking low priority work, please try us again in 6 months to see if we have the resources then"
I rang them to explain it was touching my house and hitting it pretty hard when the wind got up and was worried about damage, it went a little like this..

Them:- "You need to contact your insurance company if the tree is causing damage"
Me:- "But when can you come and cut it back?"
Them "We don't have the resources to cut it back"
Me:- "That's not really good enough. Your tree, on council land is damaging my house"
Them:- "Then you need to contact your insurance company regarding the damage"
Me:- "My insurance covers things like fire / flood / theft.. I don't think it will cover your neglect but that's irrelevant, It needs to be cut back, this is not a low priority issue because its causing damage to my house"
Them:- "We don't have the resources to cut it back, you should speak to your insurance company about the damage"
Me:- "Can I speak to your manager please?"
At which point i get put through to an answer phone. Swindon Council are *$"&%*(@!

I ended up borrowing a ladder, climbing way higher than my comfort zone and chopping the thing back myself. Not happy at all!
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Wood ID / Advice

Postby All Weather Griller » 16 Jun 2011, 18:40

Withhold £75 from your council tax and submit an invoice with a credit note for £75. :lol:

If they have no money to trim a tree surely they can't afford a solicitor. ;)

It looks like cherry, and cherry is good to smoke with.
All Weather Griller

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice