ProQ Excel 20 - best current deals

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: ProQ Excel 20 - best current deals

Postby JEC » 06 Jun 2011, 09:40

Oh yeah the 57 will use more charcoal by a long shot over the 47 but still less than any ProQ. I'm sure if you did the maths the extra spent on either WSM over the ProQ will pay for itself ( just in case you want to justify to yourself, other half etc...)

Do it, you know you want too
JEC

Postby theburnschap » 06 Jun 2011, 10:41

I had been waiting for payday and had been looking at the Excel for a while now and have been in touch with Toby a fair few times now (sorry Toby) about getting one - but had been watching the WSM prices. Best I have seen in the last few weeks has been around the £279 mark for a 47 inch. (Think it was Garden and Leisure I saw this)

I know that the original post was about best deals for the Excel - but it looks like Curlie seems to have moved towards a WSM. So has anyone seen a better deal for a WSM than the £279 mark? I get paid my bonus in 9 days time and my wife is bored of me going on about a proper Q so am looking for the best deal I can get.
theburnschap
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Curlie028 » 06 Jun 2011, 10:51

Edging towards the 47cm WSM now.
Guess I was comparing the ProQ with the 57cm WSM and the price difference was just so much.
I guess it's a man (or manhood) thing :oops:

Curlie
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 06 Jun 2011, 10:52

I used to own 2 Excels and a frontier. I now have 2 47cm WSM's. I chose the 47 because it isn't as hungry on charcoal and after discussing with a couple of people who own 47 and 57 WSM's decided it cooks a bit better.

I have 2 for competition, 2 butts in one, 2 briskets in another. I can get 3 big shoulders in one WSM using a 2 quid chrome plate rack from Wilkos as a third shelf. I cooked enough pork shoulder for 70 people on two WSM's for the Royal Wedding.

If I were to cook for 25-30 people more regularly I'd plumb for a 57 but the 47 is big enough for home use for me and I normally cook for 10-12.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 06 Jun 2011, 11:01

JEC wrote:Oh yeah the 57 will use more charcoal by a long shot over the 47 but still less than any ProQ. I'm sure if you did the maths the extra spent on either WSM over the ProQ will pay for itself ( just in case you want to justify to yourself, other half etc...)

Do it, you know you want too

Just noticed this post and I have to agree, I reckon I'm going through charcoal at less than half the rate I was before. I would always have to top up my Excel doing a pork or brisket cook. With my WSM I can cook a butt, stick it in a Cambro then cook ribs on a single load of fuel, I just add some extra wood for flavour when the ribs go on.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 06 Jun 2011, 11:21

Will post this elsewhere but for imidiate use, I have a deal with www.socal.co.uk If you are lookking to order a WSM call them and speak to Charles, mention the British BBQ Society and you will be able to purchase a 47cm WSM for £275 or a 57cm for £365.

Their number is 02380788155

Happy hunting

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Odin » 06 Jun 2011, 15:04

I personally didn't know there was such a difference between the Excel and the WSM apart from the price. What is it about the excel that makes it run so different from the WSM? :?
Odin
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JEC » 06 Jun 2011, 16:19

Mainly the build quality, the WSM keeps more of the heat in so doesn't waste as much fuel heating your garden.
JEC

Postby British BBQ Society » 06 Jun 2011, 18:37

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Odin wrote:I personally didn't know there was such a difference between the Excel and the WSM apart from the price. What is it about the excel that makes it run so different from the WSM? :?

I have never had a problem with an XL or any of the product line that I have used with temp control and I don't know what all the fuss is about on fuel usage on the XL. I could see it being mentionable if it were using twice the amount besides charcoal is relatively cheap unless you are buying from the Coop or gas station. It's easy enough to open a door and toss a bit more in. I have modded a basket to make it a little taller and now I never run low on fuel. If fuel usage was a big issue for me I would stick to smoking on my UDS, more room than both brands mentioned and the total build was around 30 bucks.

Get what suits your budget and needs.
Doc

just so everyone knows the Doc is sponsored by Pro Q (or macs bbq if you want to be precise) I have no issues with Pro Q and think its a great entry product to the market, i dont appreciate my posts being split to make it look like i bias one company over another. I have had dealings with usefulstuff / hotsmoked and they have been great, Ian gets a cut no matter who sells it so its a buyers choice.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice