Anyone use or has tried the Big K restaurant grade lump?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Anyone use or has tried the Big K restaurant grade lump?

Postby Zippy » 23 May 2011, 22:25

http://www.bigkproducts.co.uk/Product-Restaurant-Grade-Lumpwood-Charcoal_22.aspx

Just wondering if there's any thoughts on how it compares to the bookers blue bag stuff?? I had two bags arrive the other day, looks to be some very good size lumps in the mix, but not cooked with it yet.
Zippy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Anyone use or has tried the Big K restaurant grade lump?

Postby JEC » 24 May 2011, 19:23

I've found it to be similar to the Bookers Restaurant Lump which is OK but can end up as a bag of dust if you're unlucky, personally I've moved away from lump to cocoshell briquettes, although haven just fired up my shiny new WSM I may have another go with lump now that I have a more controllable unit
JEC

Postby adm » 24 May 2011, 20:45

JEC wrote:I've found it to be similar to the Bookers Restaurant Lump which is OK but can end up as a bag of dust if you're unlucky, personally I've moved away from lump to cocoshell briquettes, although haven just fired up my shiny new WSM I may have another go with lump now that I have a more controllable unit

Where do you get the cocoshell from? I'm interested to give that a go - I've read good reviews of it before. I know Kamado used to sell extruded coconut briquettes that were meant to burn clean, hot and long....
adm
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Zippy » 24 May 2011, 21:06

Cheers for the info people. I think I will stick with the Big K stuff for the time being and see how I get on.

adm - I have previously ordered coconut shell briquettes from planetbarbecue.co.uk, altho it seems they don't do them anymore. These weren't the Supagrill ones which I think are a relatively new product for CPL, but I can't remember the manufacturer. I haven't tried the Supagrill ones myself, but have read good things on here about them and will prob give them a go at some point. There are loads of UK sites you can order from online that do them so shop around. Googling 'cocoshell briquettes' brings up a few options.
Zippy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby adm » 24 May 2011, 21:18

Hmm....just did a quick Google and it seems these aren't what I was after anyway....there's no mention of what's in them and I won't buy or use fuel with additives or fillers.

The coco charcoal I really wanted was the extruded stuff with no additives. It's hexagonal in shape with an empty core down the middle. 100% coco shell lump - and as far as I have found so for....not available in the UK (unless somebody wanted to import a container load from Malaysia or wherever the hell it comes from.
adm
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 25 May 2011, 06:13

adm wrote:
JEC wrote:I've found it to be similar to the Bookers Restaurant Lump which is OK but can end up as a bag of dust if you're unlucky, personally I've moved away from lump to cocoshell briquettes, although haven just fired up my shiny new WSM I may have another go with lump now that I have a more controllable unit

Where do you get the cocoshell from? I'm interested to give that a go - I've read good reviews of it before. I know Kamado used to sell extruded coconut briquettes that were meant to burn clean, hot and long....

I use the Supagrill Cocoshell briguettes and get them CPL (aka Coals2u). No additives just coconut shell and starch binder. David at Planet Barbecue is trying to source Cocoshell briquettes again so keep an eye out. Loads of folks on here use the Supagrill version, not sure anyone has tried the others
JEC

Postby mowse73 » 25 May 2011, 20:24

works fine for me :D
mowse73
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 25 May 2011, 21:55

JEC wrote:I use the Supagrill Cocoshell briguettes and get them CPL (aka Coals2u). No additives just coconut shell and starch binder. David at Planet Barbecue is trying to source Cocoshell briquettes again so keep an eye out. Loads of folks on here use the Supagrill version, not sure anyone has tried the others

I used to use the Ecosso stuff, as did Adie, they were square briqs and they were really, really good, much better than the CPL briquettes but unfortunately they aren't available at the moment.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 26 May 2011, 06:11

I bought the last half tonne and they went a while back.

I mailed the imported this year and he said there isn't sufficient sales in the UK to warrant importing another container.
All Weather Griller

Postby Zippy » 26 May 2011, 18:15

All Weather Griller wrote:there isn't sufficient sales in the UK to warrant importing another container.

massive shame.
Zippy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice