My Weber Smokey Mountain arrived

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

My Weber Smokey Mountain arrived

Postby chokethechicken » 19 May 2011, 18:38

Well, I just picked up the reasonably sized box a few hours ago and could not wait to get the thing together... unboxing photos below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/memako/set ... 633955905/

Gonna have to be careful with the food I put on there - our cat has already 'scoped' out the amazing-smoked-food making machine! :lol:

Smoking wood should arrive tomorrow (thanks Paul), and I will probably visit the butchers next week with the intention to have my first trial run cooking some babyback ribs next weekend.

The Weber manual does state that heat beads are not recommended. I take it that I do not have to worry about that - I hope so as I am due 4 x 7kg bags of the stuff. :?
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: My Weber Smokey Mountain arrived

Postby BBQFanatic » 19 May 2011, 20:49

chokethechicken wrote:The Weber manual does state that heat beads are not recommended. I take it that I do not have to worry about that - I hope so as I am due 4 x 7kg bags of the stuff. :?

Dont worry about that, we have used heatbeads in WSM's with no problems. The only interesting thing about them are that they burn very very hot, so dont spend alot of time with the lid off the unit while the lit coals are in the coal grate otherwise it will take some time to get them to ease down.

Looks awesome, I got my first WSM only a few weeks ago (traded my ProQ in) and have really enjoyed it. Money well spent methinks
BBQFanatic

Postby Zippy » 19 May 2011, 23:35

Did it come with all 4 grate brackets? If so you've done better than me! Replacement is supposed to be arriving from Weber on Tuesday. :roll:

Did u go with the smaller or larger wsm?
Zippy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Zippy » 19 May 2011, 23:39

BBQFanatic wrote:we have used heatbeads in WSM's with no problems. The only interesting thing about them are that they burn very very hot

Is that the reason why weber recommend against using them? Coz they burn extra hot? Be interested to know why it is they advise against heat beads.
Zippy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Eddie » 20 May 2011, 01:58

The reason why they don't want you to use Heatbeads, is because they want you to buy their own brand of brickets.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 20 May 2011, 13:30

I believe their own briqs used to be rebranded heat beads until a couple of years ago.

No problem using heat beads in a bullet but they burn hot so use less.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 20 May 2011, 13:45

chokethechicken wrote:Well, I just picked up the reasonably sized box a few hours ago and could not wait to get the thing together... unboxing photos below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/memako/set ... 633955905/

Gonna have to be careful with the food I put on there - our cat has already 'scoped' out the amazing-smoked-food making machine! :lol:

Smoking wood should arrive tomorrow (thanks Paul), and I will probably visit the butchers next week with the intention to have my first trial run cooking some babyback ribs next weekend.

The Weber manual does state that heat beads are not recommended. I take it that I do not have to worry about that - I hope so as I am due 4 x 7kg bags of the stuff. :?

You will probably find that as weber used to rebrand heatbeads under their own banner it may be political, no issue with using charcaol briquettes in them.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ady » 20 May 2011, 16:20

Congrats, I'm very jealous
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chokethechicken » 10 Jun 2011, 13:11

Zippy wrote:Did it come with all 4 grate brackets? If so you've done better than me! Replacement is supposed to be arriving from Weber on Tuesday. :roll:

Did u go with the smaller or larger wsm?

Yup, it came with all 4 and it's the smaller version. Hope your replacement was sorted out.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice