My smoker is here!

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

My smoker is here!

Postby Ady » 17 May 2011, 16:11

Finally my smoker has turned up, i've fired it up and got the temp to about 160 f (i need 230-250 right?) so far but am struggling to get higher. Its not the highest quality and has smoke coming from everywhere!

One big problem i think is there is no bottom on the thing, the fuel tray sits on a ledge created by the feet but all around the side of the fuel tray is a 1-2cm gap so i've no idea how to control the temp. I'm going to have to mod it somehow i guess.

The testing continues..
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: My smoker is here!

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 May 2011, 16:12

What Smoker did you buy Ady?
All Weather Griller

Postby Ady » 17 May 2011, 16:28

Good question.. Having little knowledge and not wanting to blow a load of cash on a 'hobby' i might not get into, i bought a very cheap one, which does not even seem to have a brand name, on ebay its just called 3 in 1.
http://www.bestbudgetbuys.co.uk/garden/ ... tucky.html
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 17 May 2011, 16:33

You want to search around for how people have modified el-cheapo brinkman smokers and proq amigos. These both have the same bottomless design as your unit.

In short there's no intake control on these, they're supposed to be designed to run around 225 on their own. If you're using water in the pan, try a smaller amount of boiling water as this may help you reach a better temperature.

Any more help we can give you, just shout out.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 May 2011, 16:38

Cuan posted on the ECB the other night.

This may make interesting reading for you. I would read Cuan's review also.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=997&p=7546&hilit=ECB#p7546
All Weather Griller

Re: Offering help

Postby Ady » 19 May 2011, 14:28

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Ady wrote:
One big problem i think is there is no bottom on the thing, the fuel tray sits on a ledge created by the feet but all around the side of the fuel tray is a 1-2cm gap so i've no idea how to control the temp. I'm going to have to mod it somehow i guess.

The testing continues..

Most likely I'm not too far from you and if you want to take a measurement of the bottom of the cooker I can drop over this week with a few ideas. I have a extra lid somewhere in the shed for a drum, we could cut it down to fit the bottom of your smoker thus sealing it off. The next step would be to drill a hole just above the bottom of the smoker and install a ball valve as an intake then you could adjust the temps from there. I have a 3/4 ball valve here you can have so there is no $ lay out just time and effort.

I'll be around tomorrow then only in the mornings the week after unfortunately my weekends are pretty solid.

Wow, its not often I meet someone with so much generosity! Its a fantastic offer DrAwesome (that's what I'm calling you from now on) but for the moment I'm going to keep fiddling, as its my first ever smoker I'm happy to mess about, experiment and learn as I go. I cooked a couple of sausages Tuesday and I was very happy with them, today i've slapped a rack of ribs on and am going to try the 3-2-1 method.

The heat is upto 200F and raising, if I'm disapointed with the results i may well take you up on your fantastic offer!
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Ady » 19 May 2011, 15:02

Covingham here. I also have another mate in Swindon who bought the same smoker I did but he's not joined these forums yet. (come on Andy join up!) It does seem there are lots of Swindon smokers!

It sucks bad but I've just been given (Friday 13th!) my redundancy notice from a job I've been at for 5 years and my wife is also out of work.
Thanks to my above mentioned mate and his booker cash and carry access I've been able to fill the freezer with cheap meat so i can keep messing with the smoker.

I think when we get our feet back the ground and both earning again I'm going to be saving up for a weber smokey mountain. Me and the wife love camping holidays down in cornwall, I cant think of anything better than whittling bits of wood, soaking up the sun and messing about with a smoker all day with a few glasses of pop and a huge tasty feast at the end of it.
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 19 May 2011, 15:22

Another Swindon smoker :o

This is great to hear 8-)
Swindon_Ed

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice