proq rapid temp rise?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

proq rapid temp rise?

Postby mowse73 » 17 May 2011, 11:23

Hi everyone. I was smoking some ribs last week on my proq, and decided to add another tear to it to smoke some more. The temps went up very quickly in the top tear reching more than 300f. Is this normal? and, is there anything I can do to stop it from Happening?

Thx
Martin
mowse73
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: proq rapid temp rise?

Postby BBQFanatic » 17 May 2011, 12:03

Hi,

I can think of 2 reasons why this may happen -

1.) You may had the lid off for more than a couple seconds, as a result your charcoal got a boost in oxygen, causing them to burn hotter and thus increasing the temp (I found anything over 30seconds - 2 mins can cause this behaviour)
2.) When you put the 2nd tier on, you will find that the unit dont seal correctly each time, as the metal swells, and you get gaps between the tiers. As a result, more oxygen gets in, charcoal burns hotter, and temp goes up. I normally throw a peice of wood on, to spot where the smoke is coming out, between the tiers and add folded tin foil and re-seat the tiers, this normally seals up any holes.

Q
BBQFanatic

Postby mowse73 » 17 May 2011, 13:29

thx :D
mowse73
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 May 2011, 16:14

It sounds like a spoke to me. No. 1 on Q's list gets my vote.

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby mowse73 » 18 May 2011, 08:52

All Weather Griller wrote:It sounds like a spoke to me. No. 1 on Q's list gets my vote.

Adie

would you close the vent at the bottom for a while to reduce the temp or would you just wait and let it settle down?
Thx
mowse73
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 18 May 2011, 09:01

Sorry that should have read spike. Damn iPhone spell checker!!!

I personally haven't found a successful way to avoid spikes completely. Although I have gotten into the practice of removing the cook grates for saucing etc where the lid may need to be off for a significant amount of time. I keep the lid on it as much as possible.

If you are using lump with the lid off you can hear the crackle of the lump heating up when the lid comes off for even short durations. That is my key to get the lid on as fast as possible. Closing the bottom vent will starve the fire and eventually settle it down but does affect the cleaness of the burn in my opinion.

The tip is to be swift with your lid removals, the excel is much better for inter-cook tasks because of the removable sections.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice