Best Fuel For Weber

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Best Fuel For Weber

Postby Theselby » 29 May 2014, 10:59

Hi

Now I've got my Weber I want to have a go at doing a low and slow cook for ribs.

I was going to buy some Weber Briquettes but I've read a few people saying they give off a nasty ash. Obviously I'm going to need fuel that will burn hot and for a long period which is why I'm thinking briquettes.

So my question is what is the finest briquettes and lump wood available?

Is it better to just use lumpwood and refill the bbq on a more regular basis. My main reason for briquettes came from reading amazingribs.com where they recommend briquettes due to a more consistent temp.

Thanks
James
Theselby
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Best Fuel For Weber

Postby RobinC » 29 May 2014, 13:08

The Weber briquettes seem to polarise opinion. They do seem to generate more ash than other brands and the ash has a brown/yellow colour. They also have a distinctive smell when you light them in a chimney starter.

That being said I tend to use them on most of my long cooks. With my WSM I can keep a steady temperature for 14+ hours with little or no fussing where it comes to vents.

I've also used Heat Beads which burn for a similar amount of time but I find them slightly more expensive.

I've also used Big K Restaurant grade Lumpwood (still use that now but generally on shorter grill type cooks)
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 29 May 2014, 13:26

Believe it or not, Sainsburys basic lumpwood (£4/4kg) is actually great. Just as good as the Liverpool Wood Pellets coal I have used in the past. The chunks may not be massive, but imho that doesn't matter so long as you build the fire right
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 30 May 2014, 12:39

Either the BigK lumpwood or briquettes worked well for me when I had a weber.
JEC

Postby AndyHull » 04 Jun 2014, 08:02

JEC wrote:Either the BigK lumpwood or briquettes worked well for me when I had a weber.

Second for the Big K briquettes on my OTP

Andy
AndyHull
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice