Q220 gas regulator, hose and valve assembly

Do you have a BBQ item that you don't need and want to sell? Or are you desperately looking for something that you can't find. Post your sales and wanted notices here.

Q220 gas regulator, hose and valve assembly

Postby nik0demus » 10 Apr 2013, 22:19

Can anyone help me? I've just moved back here from Australia and obviously bought my much loved Weber 'cues with me only to find that my Q220 cannot be used with it's existing Ozzie gas valve assembly ( I knew I would have to change the regulator). Despite my pleading, Weber UK will not supply the part (regulator/valve and hose - 74202) even though it's the only component that is different; otherwise a Q220 is the same the world over. They quote 'gas safety regulations' as the reason.
Is there anyone out there who can give me some advice?

Thanks in anticipation ... :D
nik0demus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Q220 gas regulator, hose and valve assembly

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Apr 2013, 10:41

Try talking to one of their resellers instead and don't mention that you're converting a non uk unit.

http://www.socal.co.uk/

http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-q-replacements.asp
Swindon_Ed

Postby derekmiller » 11 Apr 2013, 10:50

Or talk to your local gas bottle supplier, mine has regulators and the piping.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nik0demus » 11 Apr 2013, 11:21

Thanks guys - I tried that but they all just offer the regulator and hose (the one that converts the Q 100 from canister to cylinder gas), not the actual burner inlet valve which is adjusted by the large heat control knob. This is the part that has a different spec and is set for the very low Aussie propane pressure of 2.75 K pa (27.5 M bar), not the 38 M bar that UK propane regulators run.

I'm obviously not a qualified gas engineer so I am more than happy to be corrected, btw.

If there's a SAFE work around (like cannibalising another unwanted grill) I'd happily buy one from someone.

Thanks!
nik0demus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby derekmiller » 12 Apr 2013, 11:53

Is there a plate on the side of the appliance with the approved gas pressures. Not looked at the Weber but all my other gas appliances have a plate on telling me what pressure they can handle. Thats how I know one of my appliances can only be used on butane. All the others I can move between Propane/Butane by swapping regulators.
You mention 27.5mBar, well the Butane bottle and regulators are 28mBar so would have thought they were compatible.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nik0demus » 12 Apr 2013, 19:13

Hi

Apparently it's the 'gas train' - burner/control valve/hose and regulator - that is subject to all sorts of gas safety standards so any attempt to modify those things are not only unsafe but illegal.

As it happens, I have resolved the issue with Weber who, to be fair, are limited by the laws and standards of these things and I suspect are thoroughly fed up with people like me kicking up a fuss about it.

Fair play to Weber under the circumstances and I am still a bit grumpy and out of pocket but happy to be grilling again!

Thanks to all of you who have offered advice on this forum!
nik0demus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Member Sales/Wanted