Jacobs Ladders / Beef Short Ribs

Do you have a BBQ item that you don't need and want to sell? Or are you desperately looking for something that you can't find. Post your sales and wanted notices here.

Jacobs Ladders / Beef Short Ribs

Postby MadCow » 07 Jun 2010, 09:51

Does anyone know where I can get Beef Short Ribs ... also known as Jacobs Ladders .... I have tried everywhere from Smithfields, to Anglo Dutch (abattoir & cutting plant) to local butchers ... these things seem to be impossible to buy and I do love BBQing them, they taste sooooo good.

Thanks
MadCow

Re: Jacobs Ladders / Beef Short Ribs

Postby British BBQ Society » 07 Jun 2010, 10:18

My chaps cut ribs down for me, they get the whole ribs (almost 3ft long) quite a sight, do you want some for the weekend? i am sure I can bring some down on Saturday.
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MadCow » 07 Jun 2010, 10:49

Thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind for the future, but as I need to start cooking them on Friday night, Saturday will be a bit late.

In the meantime, I have managed to find some from a Farmer in Devon .... www.devonrose.com ... they are really helpful, spoke with a guy called Richard ... he will cut pretty much anything to order and the beef is hung for 28 days. Seem to be pretty reasonably priced too.

Delivery is in cold boxes and will be left on doorstep if you are out. I'm not advertising them as I have only just discovered them, but will let you know how they look when I get them.
MadCow

Postby such » 07 Jul 2010, 20:57

Did you get these in the end?
How were they?

Thanks
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 08 Jul 2010, 08:28

Yep, I got them on the date promised, nicely chilled (not frozen) and they were superb ... my mistake I got them cut a bit too short so I'll have to remember what 6" really looks like :oops: and order 10-12" next time :D . The meat was beautifully matured ... you know that lovely beefy smell that you get when the meat is nice and dark. I marinaded them overnight. They cooked beautifully and tasted wonderful, they were certainly a hit with everyone that ate them ... If you want to order, ask for Richard, he was really helpful.
MadCow

Postby Steve » 08 Jul 2010, 17:30

So Jackie are you going to share your marinade and cooking process for beef short ribs then?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Banjo » 16 Aug 2010, 15:20

Just been speaking to my local butcher, and I mentioned beef shortribs expecting a blank response...

He has his beef delivery tomorrow and he is going to cut some for me. Price is £4.90/kg but it is from well hung local (hereford) beef. I've ordered the whole joint which is about 8 to 10 ribs.

His meat is very good quality - he does Gloucester old spot pork chops which are about an inch thick and packed with flavour.

I'll post details of how it goes.

Steve wrote:So Jackie are you going to share your marinade and cooking process for beef short ribs then?

So Jackie - any tips on cooking these? :D
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 16 Aug 2010, 19:18

Hmnmm, sharing my marinade for the Beef Ribs is something that if I tell you I might have to shoot you all for !! :twisted: :lol:

Ok, ok ... I cheat !! I use a great product that I bring in from the USA called Head Country Marinade, it is simply wonderful on beef, be it ribs, steak, or brisket ... heck I even use it on burgers! I will try and remember to bring some with me to the comp in August so you can taste it.

Also, I cook the beef ribs on 250 F usually for between 6-10 hours until they are cooked, then glaze them with sauce, set at 275 and rest a bit before serving.

I always cook far too many, but there never seem to be any left!! ;)
MadCow

Postby Banjo » 16 Aug 2010, 19:46

MadCow wrote:Also, I cook the beef ribs on 250 F usually for between 6-10 hours until they are cooked, then glaze them with sauce, set at 275 and rest a bit before serving.

Would that be Medium on the Traeger, then up to High to set?
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 16 Aug 2010, 23:08

oops sorry, give them a couple of hours on smoke then turn up to medium until they are cooked (test for doneness by pushing a wooden skewer into the meat in between the bones both parallel to the bone and at 90 degrees to it, it should slide in and out easily) then glaze and finish on medium.

Hope that helps ... was going to post a photo of my last lot, but can't work out how to !! :D
MadCow

Next

Return to Member Sales/Wanted