Kosher Salt

Do you have a BBQ item that you don't need and want to sell? Or are you desperately looking for something that you can't find. Post your sales and wanted notices here.

Re: Kosher Salt

Postby aris » 21 Sep 2012, 11:30

It will only taste saltier if you put it on your tongue directly - mixed into food it is the same.

Take 10g Maldon and 10g of table salt and dissolve in water and taste. They will be the same.

Anyhow, I'm skeptical about salt being bad for you. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but I think other things ate at play when it comes to heat disease and stroke.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 21 Sep 2012, 11:45

Aris, you're right.

Next time I want to drink a glass of salt water I'll be sure not to waste my maldon in it.

:D

But yes, I always use normal supermarket sea salt for cooking (in stews, water for pasta, etc), and maldon as a condiment, or a dry rub on the outside of meat.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 21 Sep 2012, 16:01

Aris,
Sorry to be a little controversial but you are not correct. Most naturally occuring "salt" is not pure sodium chloride it will have impurities in it and thus salts from different sources may well impart different flavours.

When dissolved you are correct thatall the sodium chloride will taste the same but depending on the salt you use 1g of salt A could have more or less sodium chloride than salt b

Personally I dont think it makes much of a difference, but in this world of which lumpwood, wood chunks, how long etc etc I am not prepared to tell a fellow he is wrong if he swears by the salt of crystallised unicorn tears.....the placebo effect can also come into play when you are seen to flourish the unicorn tear salt........

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 21 Sep 2012, 17:32

You may well get impurities - but i doubt anyone could tell the difference once it is mxed with food and cooked. Any impurities might make a technical difference to saltiness - but I doubt anyone cold tell the difference as the impurity would be a fraction of a % of the whole.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 21 Sep 2012, 18:14

So that's where all the unicorn salt went, I've been stuck using Gryphon & Pheonix for ages
keith157

Postby aris » 21 Sep 2012, 19:01

I cook with unicorn tears.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby UKEgger » 24 Sep 2012, 08:28

aris wrote:It will only taste saltier if you put it on your tongue directly - mixed into food it is the same.

Take 10g Maldon and 10g of table salt and dissolve in water and taste. They will be the same.

Anyhow, I'm skeptical about salt being bad for you. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but I think other things ate at play when it comes to heat disease and stroke.

Sorry don't agree with this, 10g of table salt will be a lot more salt than 10g of maldon, just ask my friend who mad his brine using table salt insted of a rock salt, ruined his food.
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby thelawnet » 24 Sep 2012, 12:22

Sea salt contains other salts beside sodium chloride, but it's still mostly sodium chloride.

A cheap tub of sea salt has the same composition as Maldon Salt. Cheaper-still table salt (not sea salt) has a slightly different balance.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pecker » 24 Sep 2012, 13:50

Having said all of that, as ever, we all taste, taste-test and experiment in our own ways.

If normal table salt works for you, then who am I to argue, with my taste buds hundreds of miles away from where you live.

The only two things I'll say about Maldon with any certainty is that when I use it as a condiment I prefer it to other salts, and the majority of top chefs I see using a particular brand, it's Maldon.

Do with that what you will, and happy eating.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 24 Sep 2012, 14:52

UKEgger wrote:
aris wrote:It will only taste saltier if you put it on your tongue directly - mixed into food it is the same.

Sorry don't agree with this, 10g of table salt will be a lot more salt than 10g of maldon, just ask my friend who mad his brine using table salt insted of a rock salt, ruined his food.

Did he do it by weight or volume? Big difference.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Member Sales/Wanted