Kosher Salt

Do you have a BBQ item that you don't need and want to sell? Or are you desperately looking for something that you can't find. Post your sales and wanted notices here.

Re: Kosher Salt

Postby UKEgger » 19 Sep 2012, 11:36

back on topic, South African Supermarket is selling Kosher Salt on amazon, £8 for 1.4kg which I didn't think was paid, I ordered a few to even out the postage.
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 19 Sep 2012, 13:06

Seems pretty expensive just for salt.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 19 Sep 2012, 15:22

I've seen plenty of programmes, etc, on this country's to chefs, and I can't remember one who doesn't use Maldon - it's certainly the most popular among them, and by a long way, if not universal.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby thelawnet » 19 Sep 2012, 16:53

It's not like nasty cheap sodium chloride, no it's poncey sodium chloride so it doesn't have any of the bad effects of normal sodium chloride and makes rainbows and butterflies. :roll:
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 19 Sep 2012, 18:00

Pecker wrote:I've seen plenty of programmes, etc, on this country's to chefs, and I can't remember one who doesn't use Maldon - it's certainly the most popular among them, and by a long way, if not universal.

Steve W

There was an article, maybe on here, about Kosher salt that it was the size of the crystal structure that made it ideal for using in rubs, Maldon is one of the best you can get but being sea salt is softer and dissolves quicker than Kosher.
Me I use finely ground sea salt as I don't make enough of my own/read-up on rubs to warrant the expense.
keith157

Postby UKEgger » 20 Sep 2012, 12:00

It seems a lot but its a big box, Maldon Sea Salt is actually much more expensive when you compare the size you get, also being flakes I would imagine you would have to scale back on the amount used.
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pecker » 20 Sep 2012, 14:17

thelawnet wrote:It's not like nasty cheap sodium chloride, no it's poncey sodium chloride so it doesn't have any of the bad effects of normal sodium chloride and makes rainbows and butterflies. :roll:

The flavour of Maldon is stronger, so you use less, so yes it really is better for you.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby thelawnet » 20 Sep 2012, 22:35

Strong sodium chloride.

With added ion power. :lol:

Turns out it's all just salt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... rity-chefs

Who'd a guessed it?
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 21 Sep 2012, 07:46

Salt is salt. There is no such thing as stronger salt. Show salts due to their crystalline structure may taste stronger when our on the tongue, but that says more about the tongue than he salt. Once it is dissolved, it is gram for gram the same.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 21 Sep 2012, 09:29

aris wrote:Salt is salt. There is no such thing as stronger salt. Show salts due to their crystalline structure may taste stronger when our on the tongue, but that says more about the tongue than he salt. Once it is dissolved, it is gram for gram the same.

That's the point.

If it tastes saltier you'll use less.

The less you use, the better it for you.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

PreviousNext

Return to Member Sales/Wanted